Re: the alternative photographic review

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Thu, 28 Dec 95 18:20 GMT

> Hello everyone I have just had the pleasure of joining the list to find to
> my surprise as assistant editor, a great deal of interest in our little
> DTP magazine The Alternative Photographic Review.

> Now to the gum strip saga ,which is in fact a strong brown manila paper
> tape with a smooth finish on one side and coated with stationary gum on
the
> other. I am afraid that I do not know the exact constituent of gum ,it
> could be that vile pretender, gloy, or on the other hand it maybe one of
> the many forms of the generic Gum Arabic such as,
> kodofan,Nigerian,Sengalese,or an Australian variety.I have already learnt
> to my cost one has to be very careful when describing gum.
> Gum strip was the precursor of the modern plastic parcel tape which is in
> many ways its superior ,but gum strip still reigns supreme for some
> applications such as quality bespoke picture framing ,and is also
employed
> as a standard stretching technique by Watercolour Artists to improve the
> stability of thin paper and to avoid uneven expansion and cockling when
> laying down washes of colour. The classic Gum-Bichromate process has
> employed the same method of working for similar reasons for a great many
> years. I am most surprised that Judy Siegel or Peter Marshall have never
> heard of it.
>

> pete

I am sure that Judy is as aware as I am of the various possible used of
gummed paper tape. I am afraid that what I (and I think Judy) had never heard
of was GUMSTIP.

As I suggested in my earlier post, and your lengthy explanation omits to
point out, this was a typing error.

Gummed paper tape is not to my knowledge normally referred to in the UK
as gum strip. (And certainly never as gumstip!). It is a material I
have used for many years and still have a good supply in the cupboard for
various purposes including those you mention. Traditional supplies certainly
used one of the many forms of 'gum arabic'.

Good luck with APR - and welcome to alt-photo.