U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | "I'm protecting myself from receiving junk mail"

"I'm protecting myself from receiving junk mail"

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: "I'm protecting myself from receiving junk mail"
  • From: Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:15:46 -0400 (EDT)

Today I receved a 17 K message including 6 or 8 "gif" files, whatever they are (which for my telephone dialup system is LARGE) in response to some info I supplied onlist to answer a query about Pellet's process. This was from the kindness of my heart, because no one else seemed to answer, I had a tad of info on the topic, and we are after all here to share. But now I am directed to "click here" (which of course my terminal emulator on the unix shell doesn't do, and if it did I wouldn't anyway) to protect a person calling himself "John" from receiving junk mail.

To put not too fine a point on it, I consider that response a greater affront than any "junk mail" I've received to date, and trust me, there has been plenty (tho I always follow up on the ones promising to enlarge my penis, and trust me-- HUGE!)

But it seems to me that anyone who subscribes to this list, and is bright enough to benefit from its discourse, ought to be able to put mail from the listserv on its "accept" list and not ask folks who take the trouble to provide information (which I'm not at all certain "John" has done) to cater to his delicate sensibilities in ways that, besides being a damn nuisance, display a self-centered arrogance/ignorance I only cater to when there's something in it for a worthy cause, world improvement, or myself. To accede to this demand otherwise is simply to encourage a form of narcissism that IMO doesn't even benefit the narcissist.

So I would respectfully suggest that other folks getting this message similarly refrain. And perhaps Gord would make a comment on this practice in his sign-up protocol. (Or I may have to fly to John's place on my broomstick and REALLY put a hex on him.)

Meanwhile, FWIW, Panix has a generic spam filter signupable for on its website that's extremely effective -- I used to get more than 50 spams a day, but now rarely more than one or two. But of course "John," delicate soul, in the act of "protecting himself" from dread junk mail, protects himself from this info too.

love and kisses,

Judy