U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: brush vs tray size for gum

Re: brush vs tray size for gum

Rodolpho, your solution sounds very interesting. I am not yet a printer but I use the list to learn and think about the various processes. Could this be another option? If you fiberglassed a cookie roller or dough rolling pin - the kind with handles on the side - would that work for spreading the solution. Dough rolling pins with handles are cheap and readily available used at your local thrift shop of choice. Fiberglass repair kits would work for the fiberglass sourcing? Another thought might be 1" PVC pipe with end caps  mounted onto a paint roller. I don't know enough to know the pros and cons of those ideas but is there a reason they wouldn't work?

Just a thought from someone who hasn't actually done any coating....yet. -thom

Camden Hardy wrote:
Sounds like an interesting contraption.  I'd be interested in seeing it.

Camden Hardy


On Wed, October 4, 2006 1:35 pm, Rodolpho Pajuaba wrote:
When I first read about this puddle pusher I tried to see what exactly
it was, but I couldn´t find any good picture. Then, after reading a lot
of e-mails from you folks I thought  it was a glass bar that could roll
in an axis, that could carry the puddle without grinding against the
paper. Well, actually it´s not :-( . Then I created a device that
resembles a painting roll, but instead of foam is made of glass. I took
a glass pipe, the kind used in laboratories (I don´t know the name in
english, it´s tubo de ensaio in portuguese), cut off the end, making it
a tube, and managed to center an iron round bar in it. With it I can
roll the glass smoothly, like if I was pulling and pushing it around,
but with more control than if it was loose. If there is interest I can
photograph it and show.
Rodolpho Pajuaba

Sandy King escreveu:


That is correct. I am rolling the rod, not pushing it.


At 3:03 PM -0400 10/3/06, Jack Brubaker wrote:


So you are rolling the rod not pushing it along. As I recall the
illustrations I've seen for "puddle pushers" had handles so would not
I would have thought that the rolling motion would pull up the gelatin
behind the rod. But apparently not. Thanks for the info.