U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Potentially stupid pt/pd question

Re: Potentially stupid pt/pd question

Or make your own developer. It is pretty easy to mix up several gallons in a 5 gallon plastic bucket some Saturday morning. A lot cheaper to buy oxalic acid and potassium carbonate and make it yourself!

I think saturated developer is a more likely scenario. It's not that old,
but I admit I have let it go longer than normal without replenishing it.
I've got a shipment of potassium oxalate on the way, so I'll add to what
I've been using and see if that helps.

Camden Hardy

camden[at]hardyphotography[dot]net
http://www.hardyphotography.net

Potassium oxalate developer by itself won't stain paper. What is
probably going on is that your developer is absolutely saturated with
ferric oxalate from that it is removing from the print. So when you
put the print into the tray of developer, it is bathing in a
concentrated sea of ferric oxalate in solution. I would be willing to
bet that 1) your developer is old and saturated with ferric oxalate
and has a pH at or above 7.0, and 2) your rinse water is slightly
basic as well. This would explain the staining on both sides of your
paper. So it most likely IS a clearing issue, IMO, that you are
seeing, only you are doubling down by soaking your paper in a
developer loaded up in ferric oxalate removed from all your previous
prints.

Clay, I definitely tell you it's not the ferric that's staining,
although
it is the same color (which is why I initially thought it was a
clearing
issue).

The entire sheet of paper is stained (front and back), not just
where it
was coated. The "paper white"

It looks almost as if it spent some time soaking in a tray of coffee.