To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: Photopolymer Plate Options

Hi Nancy,

For whatever it's worth, both KM73 and KM43 are mentioned on the Toyobo
site here:

http://www.toyobo.co.jp/e/seihin/xk/pad/index.htm

I'm interested in how one can purchase directly from Toyobo.  Can you
please post contact info for your source?

Thanks!
Jon

Nancy Diessner wrote:
Mark,
Thanks for asking the question. I've been puzzled by what BoxCar sells (KM73) since I haven't seen a Printight KM73 on Toyobo's Website.
I get my Printight KM43 plates directly from Toyobo. I'm assuming the only difference is that the KM73 is thicker than the KM43, and for me the plates from Toyobo are cheaper. I've found the thickness of the plates I use just fine, and the blacks deep and rich, but I think I'll still give the KM73 plates a try and see what the slightly thicker plate is like.

Here's the comparison:

>From Box Car:
Printight KM73
face relief: .019"
thickness: .029
surface: smooth
hardness 65
A2: $35

>From Toyobo:
Printight KM43
Total Thickness: 0.43mm/0.017"
Relief thickness: 0.20mm/.008
Support base: Steel Plate
Standard Size A2/S-13
I get an educational discount on these plates, which makes them cheaper than those from Box Car.
Nancy

Jon Lybrook wrote:
Hi Mark,

The "EcoEtch" plate from Box Car Press I mentioned is the Toyobo
(model KM73) plate.   "EcoEtch for Photogravure" is their internal
name for it at Box Car Press.   I believe it is the same plate Keith
was talking about too.  We discussed different sources for the plate,
Box Car Press being the most affordable I've found.

I've read references to other Toyobo plates here too, but I'm not
sure what they are about or how they differ from the KM73.  That
plate has come recommended by several people on this list besides me,
and in at least one book I've read.

Thickness of the plate impacts the depth of the dot/holes one can
create in the plate.  Presumably the deeper the dot, the more ink one
can wipe in to the plate, and the more ink that gets in the more
comes out, on to your print.
If you're into relief printing, or the effect of open bite, the
thicker the polymer, the deeper the relief lines can be as well.  I
probably wouldn't use the KM73 for that kind of work, since the
polymer is relatively thin.  I've not had problems getting deep, rich
blacks once the exposure time has been established (and using
Charbonnel Carbon Black ink), however.

Hope that helps clarify some of the confusion.

Cheers,
Jon

D. Mark Andrews wrote:
Was just reading through my stockpile of list emails on this topic
and found
myself a bit confused. It I'm following correctly, I have these
options for
making photopolymer plates that are "developed" using water:

Solarplate (This is the plate I've been toying with)
Dan Welden

Printight (Keith Taylor's recommendation)
Toyobo

Printight DF
Toyobo

EcoEtch KM73 (Jon Lybrook's recommendation)
Boxcar Press

Also, I get that the plate base thickness factors into the depth of
etching,
but not sure how. Can anyone enlighten me?

Mark