U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Point and Shoot Digicam that shoots RAW

Christina wrote:

>> So now, can anyone recommend a state of the art point and shoot
>> camera that shoots raw mode that you all really think is top notch?
>> Smallish and pocketbook friendly?

I have always recommended the Canon G3/G5 series for this. I have two
G3s to back up my DSLRs, and just love them. They have most of the
advanced features of DSLRs (other than the TTL viewing, of course) plus
a most excellent tilt-and-swivel LCD display. However, I understand
that the newest in the series, which I believe is the G7, has neither
RAW nor the tilt-and-swivel LCD, so I guess one of the older models is
the one to have. Note that the viewfinders in these cameras are not as
good as they might be -- generally, one uses the LCD screen to frame
shots. I quickly got used to this, and actually prefer the G3s for
shots from awkward angles. Even using the LCD extensively, I get great
battery life, too.

Best regards,

etienne