U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: "Raw" for dummies ?

Re: "Raw" for dummies ?

There are a few basic concepts to keep in mind. First and foremost, all pixels are not created equally (in fact, pixels are only abstractions, mathematical concepts). There are a staggering number of variables that ultimately affect the quality of pixels and an image file, made either by a scanner or digital camera. As you know, when shooting Raw files you must process through a Raw converter. Photoshop CS2 ships with Camera Raw, which is very good; in part because it is designed to process trace pixel information in the highlights rather than discarding it. This can
OK, for instance... is that phrase "process trace" in which "process" is a noun and you're tracing it, or "process trace pixel information" in which process is a verb, meaning you process the traces of pixel information, or any of several other possible configurations?

Trivial point, maybe, but I've never heard the term before ... and it starts me out already confused.

[more to follow]

J.