U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Epson 3800 vs 4800 - any advice?

Re: Epson 3800 vs 4800 - any advice?

Ouch. I'd hate to go backwards.

The 2 main advantages to 4800 over the 3800 I've found is:

1) Higher capacity carts
2) The 4800 accepts roll media where the 3800 does not

Neither of these things matter if I can't get reasonably comparable density out of either of them using black ink only though. Is the 3800 thought to be better using black ink only than the 4800? I'd look into a used 4000 as you recommend Camden, but I like having that Manufacturer Warranty in case there are problems.

Jon

Camden Hardy wrote:
In terms of black ink only, the 2200 is the best I've seen, and you may
not find a printer that can stand up to the 2200 (can anyone confirm/deny
this?). Based on what I've seen and heard, the 2200 is one of the best
out there for black ink.