U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: "Dick Stevens' book."

RE: "Dick Stevens' book."

Title: RE: "Dick Stevens' book."
Dick Stevens' book came about because of the publish or perish situation of many university professors. Stevens was a professor at Notre Dame, where Sam Wang taught at the beginning of his career. So the book was organized from the perspective of someone in academia whose primary goal was to put a publication on the table that would be accepted by his peers and earn him promotion.

Some years ago I went through much of the literature on kallitype printing, devised my own way of working, and published an article on it at www. unblinkingeye. come. Early on that that article I wrote:  "One of the things that has turned people off on kallitype is its seeming complexity. Virtually every text on kallitype lists numerous developer formulas, each capable of providing a different color or tone, with an infinite number of variations in processing: time of development, time of clearing, strength and length of fixing, etc, which can be very confusing for the beginner. If you really want to know how complicated kallitype printing can become, have a look at Dick Stevens' book, Making Kallitypes: A Definitive Guide."

In my opinion most of the research done by Stevens, and his conclusions, is fundamentally sound. But I agree with Judy that the organization is lacking, and especially "if you think of the book as a guide to kallitype printing," which is its title and how Stevens himself saw its purpose.  One would find a very hard time taking this book and actually learning to make kallitype prints. You might be able to do it but the trail would take you through some pretty rough and wooded terrain that might juste as well be avoided.

Sandy King