To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 7:48 AM
Subject: Re: Jose Ortiz-Echague and Fresson

How are you doing Art?
And Hi to the six hundred,
Yes, and then Luis Nadeau pursued Echague for many years, maybe ten, to persuade him to divulge the secret ''Fresson'' Direct Carbon formulae ( Carbondir), and Luis eventually purchased the machine and the formula from Echague which is languishing in store somewhere in Canada and is too complicated and messy to use viably. I presume Luis meant profitably. I also know Bill Foster, personally, who provided me with a drawing of the machine done by Echague's son, Edward. There are no definite instructions with this crude drawing and I feel, that laughably, it has little or nothing to do with, as Sandy suggests, the ''secret'' Fresson coating. Good old Hake brushes will fill the bill to coat the emulsions. Not a machine.
Regarding the Fresson family business, still running, I am prepared to respect their decision to keep their formulae under wraps. Even if I learned of their secret............what would I do with it? Sell it? Call it by another name?Write about it in my publication and sell that? If anyone has actually seen a Fresson print or a good repro they may understand why thousands of alternative and straight photographers, educators and entrepreneurs want to know. However, there are similar processes giving results which could be regarded as ''Fresson like'' in appearance. The one Dave Somarkoe currently has one the web is a good example, in my opinion. But I dont suppose Dave, like the Fressons, is prepared to let us into his secrets either. After all the many, many tests and trials needed to arrive at a workable formula such as this, neither would I, myself, be happy to give it away to others who might use it for personal gain with no financial credit to the originator.

What happened to your process , Art? Good luck, Dave! ! It seems you may have a lot of work, and responsibility to clients, ahead of you.
A very interesting and never ending discussion. It comes up every so often. BTW. Anyone concerned with more info on the Fresson mystery please see Judy Siegel's #9 issue of Post Factory Photography.

How many bucks is the secret process worth? The bidding starts at
one quarter of a million. Any advances?
Happy Summer days.
John - Photographist- London - UK.

----- Original Message ----- From: <achakali@wideopenwest.com>