U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | slightly OT - dry prints

slightly OT - dry prints

Hi All,

While we are discussing unusual (and secret) print methods (Fresson) I
thought I would ask if anyone knows about, or has had experience with a
printing method called 'dry print'.

The Craigie Horsfield show is about to finish here in Sydney, Australia, and
I noted the very particular almost chalky quality of many of the prints
which were described as being a 'dry print'. They have a soft, dusty look,
at the same time, an intense colour, when colour was used. But no real
blacks in the monochrome images IMO. Sort of similar to my memory of a
Fresson print which I saw once, many, many, moons ago. The museum had many
signs up warning of the delicacy of the prints which were not covered with
glass - a nice touch I thought. Being able to engage one's eyes directly
with the paper and ink/chalk/emulsion/whatever is a real treat I think.

While at the Museum of Contemporary Art I picked up an Art in America with
review of the Craigie Horsfield show. A good read. However, all the the
prints used as illustrations in the article were described as digital prints
rather than as dry prints. I've googled dry print and among a lot of other
stuff (this same question was asked on a digital print forum - but with
little response), I read an interesting patent (possibly a Kodak patent)
6387457, which describes a digital dry print - it could be the one.

Can anyone shed some light on dry printing?

Many thanks