U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: the grammar of photographic writers

Re: the grammar of photographic writers

Hi Judy

The term  I would use to describe a construction like "we the people" is apposition.  The first word is defined by the other two words.  Metonymy is use of one word as a symbol for another, eg "the War of the Roses" using the emblems of the houses of Lancaster and York (red and white roses respectively) to represent the rival armies.

If you want to say "the choice belongs to we the people" then I think you have to put quote marks around "we the people" thus drawing attention to the fact that you are quoting that phrase, and implicitly distancing yourself from its use - perhaps taking a political position.

Speaking of all of which, when Paul Simon wrote this in 1973, whose Mama did he have in mind?

If I was President
And the Congress call my name
I'd say "who do . . .
Who do you think you're fooling?"
I've got the Presidential Seal
I'm up on the Presidential Podium
My mama loves me
She loves me
She gets down on her knees and hugs me
And she loves me like a rock
She rocks me like the rock of ages
And she loves me
She loves me, loves me, loves me, loves me
Don Sweet