U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Lightroom

Re: Lightroom

From: Eric Neilsen <ejnphoto@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Lightroom (was Re: Adobe Photoshop CS3 update)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:15:08 -0600

> When I say sRGB, I am not specifically targeting that color
> space, but more a workflow; One that is intended for quick
> cheap output to RA4 process prints and typified by a small
> sRGB file format for output. It still can't read non
> maximized PSD files or large TIF files. At least it does now
> give you a way to export to txt file a list of those that
> didn't import.

I think we work in different worlds. I routinely handle
200-300MB TIFF images scanned from medium format film. It
takes several times longer than opening CR2 raw files from EOS
5D, but still quite manageable. (I use a dual G5 PowerMac and
a MacBook but I have 2.5GB and 3GB RAM. You'll need plenty of
RAM to handle 300MB TIFF.)

I think the quality of raw processing changed quite a bit in
1.2, but I don't think there was a significant cahnge in 1.3,
if any.

Also in 1.1 or 1.2 (forgot which) the database handling of LR
improved greatly and now we can split and merge database
files, which was very difficult in older versions.
--
Ryuji Suzuki
http://silvergrain.org