U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Five Stages to Javelle Gum Print

Re: Five Stages to Javelle Gum Print

Of course,

I have only 3 more prints to show. The 2 other prints (trial 2 and 4) on
sized paper have flaked / flagged so much that I just brushed off the whole
emulsion (thinking I may use the papers later again).

Trial 1:
http://www.loris.medici.name/gum/bleach_trial_1.jpg
Not enough pigment, too much dichromate, too much exposure. If I got the
dichromate and exposure amounts right it could made a nice print - even if
the blackest blacks are not enough to justify the bleaching procedure.

Trial 3:
http://www.loris.medici.name/gum/bleach_trial_3.jpg
Too much pigment, too much exposure. I had to bleach the print more than I
would consider "normal" now, in order to be able to get an image. The result
is too harsh, not pleasing at all.

Trial 5:
http://www.loris.medici.name/gum/bleach_trial_5.jpg
Ok pigment, ok dichromate, ok exposure but ruined while trying to finish it
with polyurethane - while the print wasn't hard enough. (See the brushmarks
and how the emulsion came off.)

I was afraid of ruining the good print so I didn't try to coat it with
polyurethane later.

Hope this helps,
Loris.