U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Bleach and Direct Carbon / Direct Carbon Paper Available on TheMar

Re: Bleach and Direct Carbon / Direct Carbon Paper Available on TheMarket?

Reply to 1:

Discovered? Let's say "have recently been made aware of" - that sounds more
correct.

I may wish to try something else just for fun and/or the sake of it
(struggling makes you learn many many things), but only if I have the luxury
of sparing time for it in that specific slice of time. Plus, I forgot, I may
also need some incentive:

Unfortunately, I have much less time - compared to what I would like to have
- for practicing photography / experimenting with new processes. I work in a
full time job and I can only experiment in night time, photograph in the
weekends. (Let's say it was so until two weeks ago - since I left my job
then, because I will join the military force for six months obligatory
military service this Wednesday!)

Therefore, the incentive should be pretty strong - in my case. That's why
I'm asking so perseveringly -> about your results, pros and cons of your
process.

I can't sense that incentive - yet. (And I consider myself as a pretty eager
person.) We'll see how I'll feel 6-7 months later (maybe a little bit
more)...

About list membership status of Mike Ware: Most probably / as I know it, but
why don't you ask him directly if you want to be perfectly sure?

Reply to 2:

Even though I understand that the "hand made" quality - that I assume we're
all after - exist in the development phase of your process, I think it's not
strong enough to justify the usage a PIA off-standard process. (In other
words: an alt-process. By standard I mean current technology such as:
inkjet, lightjet, lambda, ilfochrome ect...) To me, alt-processeses are all
about being hand-made, self-made; I like to be able to choose the material
(paper, pigments ect.) to my liking and artistic(!) vision, plus, I need to
able to purchase them locally. (Both very important points.)

Yes, conceptually, we still need factory made material / tools in order to
make the negatives (either film or digital), but the more I'm free /
independent the better the process is to me...

Therefore, to me, a ready-made direct carbon paper isn't interesting /
desirable at all - unless it provides a quality irreplaceable by other
means. ???