U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Sury & Misonne

Re: Sury & Misonne

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008, henk thijs wrote:

It is written 'Leonard Misonne', born in Charleroi - Belgien, and i saw an exhibition of his work some time ago in the photomuseum of Charleroi, and the pictures i saw were a.o. (brom)oil prints and
gum, very pictorialistic and depressing images of daily life and factories next to romantic landscapes with sheeps et al.

I took a longer look at the American Photography Annual (No. 18, 1924) which I'd previously riffed through, and note a couple of points:

page 308,"THE PHOTOGRAPHIC REVIEW," by E. J. Wall, begins:

The "COLOR PROCESS": E.Rombaut gives a brief description of the working of this new Process, which has been introduced by E. Sury, of Antwerp. It recalls the old powder process and it is distinctly different. The paper is sent out unsensitized, and it is advised to turn up the edges of the sheet.... and pinch the corners so as to form a temporary tray...."

There follow formulas (Am bi & methyl alcohol), & instructions for coating, draining, drying & printing... using a screen of black lines between negative & (insolation?-- which is -- the coating?). Some 2 pages of instructions in small print which follow are tempting to try -- (tho not to copy out).

Is this the "patented" method do you suppose, or something else? The powder brushed on adheres in the unhardened cracks where the lines in the screen "or "reseau" lay, hence color (or colors) may be added by brushing in.

After this topic a section on Resinopigmentype lays out the Namias process, using a "powder" made by "fusing resin, a fatty body and the desired pigment, then grinding when cold." There are plenty of fatty bodies & grinding around here, but I'm still doubtful I could follow those instructions... What for instance is the "resin"?

Then the name is in fact Leonard Misonne, thanks Henk, tho no further word on his nationality.

Other info gleaned from turning all 770-odd pages is that females of the day tended to get tangled up naked in window drapes or table cloths that persisted in flying open when the shutter snapped (an affliction to which men were apparently immune) and that F. Drtikol showed a couple of comically arch figure studies that look like I Love Lucy drunk as a skunk, while the penchant for titling photographs of African-Americans of any age and mien with irrelevant expressions in crude dialect was in full fettle.

On page 493 we see a pleasant-looking middle aged man with pipe, beard and hat, comfortably seated with hands crossed, over the title: "Befo' De War." (No better or worse than dozens, perhaps hundreds of the genre... There oughta be a book. Proposed title: "Praise de lawd" -- after the photo titled thusly, also for no discernible reason.)

PS. If someone has a... I forget what you call them, a program that scans and converts to text-- and others are interested I can copy these pages on printing the above-mentioned Sury process & mail to him or her tp put on a website....( unless that's already been done?)

Judy

happy 2008 ,
Cheers,
Henk