U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Measuring DMAX

Re: Measuring DMAX

Hi,

Picture Window Pro (PWP) uses the following equation to tell us the density
of screen image values

-log10((pv/(2^bits - 1))^gamma)

pv => pixel value
bits => bit resolution of the image (8 or 16 per channel)
gamma => monitor gamma value (most probably 2.2 on PC and 1.8 on Macs)

In the case of scanned image, while in VueScan or some other scanning
software you may want check it out with a gamma of 1.

This may be enough to give you a relative density value one can use to
compare various process but you most not make any adjustment to the image
before making the calculations otherwise the pixel values will be scaled all
in the same range [0..255] and you wont be able to compare anything.

Yves