U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: curves and gum and Christopher James book

Re: curves and gum and Christopher James book

Christina,

I can only repeat my apologies, I'll admit I'm a neanderthal and possibly
worst quite often, especially when I open my mouth. I shouldn't have said
anything about you because it's not about you.

I've been using computers for about 30 years, in those days everyone that
used a computer was a nerd to everyone else. Even today, there are still
quite a few people thinking that way. For me, using PDN is like going back
to a typewriter and I think many would agree that a typewriter is not very
hitech at least today. But I would also agree with anyone that a typewriter
does a good job for what it was design for just as PDN can work for many
people. But I can't help myself when I read stuff like PDN is techy, it's
like being hit with a tazer gun.

If you can ever forgive me, I would take you on with your offer of sending
me image(s) not to make magic, I just can't do that but with the idea that
it could help in the creation of better tools for the making of digital
negs. I could also send you a couple of images that show the kinds of
problems for which I would like to find a pratical and automated solution.

Here is an idea of the kind of tool most computer nerds like me would
consider hitech. Let's say we have determined the exposure time at another
stage. One would make a single test print (1) and make a scan of it, you
then give this scan to a program which would read the scan and extract
information from it automatically, when this part is done you are ready to
make negs, you would then open the file of an image for which you want to
create a negative, the program would show you a simulation of your image as
it would look as a print, you could edit it further to enhence it to your
liking and finally you would press a button to generate the negative file.

The user of such a program wouldn't need any kind of special knowledge
beside what he/she already knows. Such a program would save you quite a bit
of time and money, just think at the number of test prints you would save
every time. For the skeptics, this type of program is commonly available and
used in the printing industry, that is the hitech printing industry.

Food for thoughts...

Regards,
Yves

(1) The usual conditions for materials and printing process apply.