U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: glyoxal v. formaldehyde

Re: glyoxal v. formaldehyde

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Don Sweet wrote:

2.    (Even more naively perhaps) if f'de will outgas at room temperature
but g'de will not, what implications does that have in terms of the
comparative residual toxicities of the hardened size on prints?

Let me hazard a guess, which may be way off, but seems logical from here... The reason (I'm guessing) the formaldehyde outgasses more could be because it's a gas or closer to a gas at room temp... rather than a factor of its toxicity. In fact I daresay there are many gases that aren't toxic at all, like maybe helium? Or oxygen?

J.