U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gelatin size

Re: gelatin size

Hi Judy,

I was using 250 bloom gelatin. I've been mixing it up something like 7 grams of gelatin to 250 ml of distilled water, which I'm sure I read somewhere. No doubt I'm the only person who complains about the look and feel of gelatin-- but there's something about it I just don't like. Of course, I don't like the surface feel of Fabriano paper, either, but I don't hear anyone else complaining. Certainly, it does seem to work the very best (of the papers I've tried) for this process. I just can't stand the feel of it. But the gelatin just gives this-- I don't know-- almost plastic-like feel to the paper surface that that really bothers me. That look/feel tends to disappear somewhat once I start printing. Anyway, I'm sure it's just me. I did add a little more water to that mix another time and liked it much better, and it still seemed to work fine. I use a brush, but maybe I'll try your method.

I saw your other post about the PVA. I did figure out, after the fact, that I most likely had to coat between each layer. I probably didn't need to dilute it initially, either (?). That's too bad, though, because I actually did like it; it went on very smoothly and evenly, and that first layer of printing looked really good. After that, of course, it all went downhill. As usual.

Honestly, the glut seemed to do the trick for me-- that and cutting way back on the gum/dichromate mixture-- (thanks to Chris and Don for that bit of information) . . . oh, and exposing correctly-- and brushing/rollering everything on evenly-- and having the perfect negative for this process, and the perfect paper . . . and sizing properly, and . . .

Diana