U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: "serum of milk"

Re: "serum of milk"

It certainly is the best to make cheese. And thus the best way to make
whey. There's only one problem: cheesemakers have no intention to use
whay for other purposes than food-industry. I'm not sure the enzyme is
harmless to, say, paper sizing materials (i.e. gelatin), and how it
effects the lifetime of your photo. It might even make moulding (is
that a word?? things like fungae and stuff..... ) of the final image
possible.

you can of course try whether it affects the print. But in my opinion,
for photographic purposes, I wouldn't rely on anything of animal
origin for this purpose (except for gelatin, which is made from bovine
bones)....

DJ