U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: dreamy Nikon lenses

Re: dreamy Nikon lenses

Chris,

You can always set up an action in Photoshop to add the dreamy looks, but if you wanted to shoot it in-camera, you can't beat a "portrait" lens on a large format camera. On 35mm and DSLR, there are the Canon 135mm Portrait lens and the Nikon 105 f/2. Or you can slap a Zeiss Softar filter on anything and get that gorgeous soft dreamy look. They come in different strengths, and work beautifully on sharp Hasselblad lenses. I have absolutely no firsthand experience with any of this, however, just home-made Lensbaby-like devices from way back.

Remember Russ Young gave a talk at the same APIS that we first met? Subject was his dissertation topic: soft focus lenses. Even Ansel Adams owned one, so no need to feel guilty about it. (All those Holga fanatics are after the same thing).

Sam