U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum preservatves

Re: gum preservatves

Thanks Christina.

Faster gum may mean a lot for some. For instance, I just finished
calibrating for paper negatives and (for my light source + coating
solution) the standard printing time is 15 minutes! I can surely use 1
stop faster gum... :)

May suggestion wasn't waiting until it stinks. Maybe one can mix a small
amnt. (such as 10ml) and note when it starts to stink. If that's - let's
say - 3 days later, maybe one can wait 2 or 2.5 days and then add the
preservative, just before it goes truly bad. I don't have a pH meter, if I
had one I would certainly check pH change with time and see if I can get a
more acidic gum that way...

BTW, the curve I designed for 80 gsm photocopier paper negatives is the
mildest I did until now! See it here:

http://www.loris.medici.name/gum/Curve_Image.jpg (Curve applied to the
negative image.)

Negative info: HP9180, No Color Management, Grayscale, Plain Paper, Best.
Coating solution info: Lightly pigmented (Schmincke Horadam 785 Natural
Gray), 1 part 1:2 gum:water and pigment + 1 part 20% ammonium dichromate.
Light source: 8x40W UVBL bank.
Exposure time: 15 minutes.

Tonal gradation is pretty nice but the print can't be considered smooth
since the paper negatives fibrous structure shows in the print. No good
for small prints but OK for big ones (which I currently intend to do)...

4 Eylül 2008, Perşembe, 4:52 pm tarihinde, Christina Z. Anderson yazmış: