U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Paper negatives- Ink Selection

Re: Paper negatives- Ink Selection

Loris,
I never get dichromate stain with a 15% solution, even with 5-12 minute exposures.

If Keith were to increase his dichromate from pot di full strength to am di full strength, yes the curve changes and I assume he would recalibrate to make a curve for full strength. But if I remember, Keith is fairly loosey goosey about his practice and produces excellent work so he may not need to.

However, my real reason is to ask why pot di, which only saturates to say 10-13% at best, and falls out of saturation if temps fall below 70 (something I discussed LONG ago on the list relative to Kosar's chart) when using a 15% am di which would be faster than a saturated pot di and would never fall out of solution unless he were working outside in winter I might suppose because am di saturates at 30%? I remember one BJP article discussing this very fact that in England back in the day of no central heat, the pot di would actually only be about a 5% solution!

I find that people into pot di are dyed in the wool pot diers and people into am di can become the same, just because we all build our practice around our practice, you know? BUT if long exposures were an issue I just don't see why anyone dyed in the wool pot dier wouldn't switch.

What I should really do is just force myself to use pot di for a year and see if there is any benefit to it.

Now let's throw another monkey wrench in here for you to test, Loris, since you are fast becoming the expert as you are: at a certain point of percentage, am di doesn't produce a speed gain ENOUGH to warrant the increased percentage. This is why I settled on 15% tho I used to use 7.5% down south where the humidity was always 50% or greater. It's not a truly linear exposure thing, such as in the darkroom when you expose a print half a stop more or less you can expect half a stop more or less exposure (given the characteristic curve of paper this is true only to an extent, of course).

If I remember correctly, Suzanne Izzo even uses only 5% di concentration, and the interesting question is how low a di concentrate you can go and still have acceptable times. It's pretty amazing to me, actually. BUT again this has nothing to do with Keith's issue of long exposures with paper negs, just a thought I'd throw out there...
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/
----- Original Message ----- From: "Loris Medici" <mail@loris.medici.name>