U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum calibration (was: Paper negatives- Ink Selection)

Re: Gum calibration (was: Paper negatives- Ink Selection)

19 Ekim 2008, Pazar, 1:57 am tarihinde, Katharine Thayer yazmış:

> I understand what Loris is saying, I think, that theoretically one
> should expose longer in order to print the highlights if the DR of
> the negative is too high,  so it follows to reason that if you're
> printing with the right DR negative the exposure time "should" be
> shorter,  but in practice it doesn't really work that way in gum, at
> least in my experience; if you expose long enough to expose the
> highlights of a negative that's too dense for the process,  you're
> going to expose so long that you'll  block up the shadows, and you're
> just going to be robbing Peter to pay Paul during the development:
> if you develop long enough to open the blocked up shadows, you may
> well lose the highlights in development anyway.

I don't know if Keith has definitely a problem with blocked up shadows or
not, but then I have seen him printing gum, (again, I'm not making any
generalization here) and know that he can be quite "harsh" in development
(spraying the print and brushing, which can't be described as "in a
delicate way"), I don't think he's an automatic-development-only gum
printer (if such a gum printer exist), but then I also don't know how
often and to what extent he manipulates his print in the development stage
- if such a generalization can be made. Just wanted to mention...