U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Fixer question

Re: Fixer question

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:35 PM
Subject: Fixer question

I've been using 2% hypo to fix my argyrotypes, so I was wondering if I mix up a batch (1 liter) and only fix one or two small prints (4x5), can I store it and use it next time I print?

I had a staining/blotchy problem today and I couldn't figure it out. When I mixed up a batch of fresh fix, everything was a-ok...

Thanks...

Paul

      Unless there is some sulfite in the fixer it will decompose due to oxidation. I'm not sure a 2% solution would last very long anyway. For normal photographic fixer with either ammonium or sodium thiosulfate and no added acid about 5 grams per liter of sulfite is enough. Your fixer is much weaker than this but the sulfite will cause no harm and will help preserve the thiosulfate and prevent staining, etc.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA