U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum and Photogravure, was: varnishes

Re: Gum and Photogravure, was: varnishes

I hate to introduce another level of complexity, but I'm not sure
it's a very close fit to consider the permanence of watercolor
paintings as a way to gauge the potential permanence of gum prints,
since they are rather different things.

I'm comfortable saying that carbon prints and gum prints (both using
permanent pigments of course) shoud be similar in permanence, because
the process by which they are made is similar, and the end product is
crosslinked colloid holding pigment in both cases. It's possible
that crosslinked gelatin and crosslinked gum arabic are different in
some way that affects permanence, but as far as I know, there are no
data touching on that question, and until that information is
available, I'm comfortable saying that there's no logical reason, or
evidence-based reason, for saying that carbon is more permanent than
gum (or vice versa, for that matter).

However, watercolor paintings are something different. In the case
of watercolor paintings, the image is made of what we in gum
printing would call "pigment stain;" it's comprised of pigment which
has penetrated the fibers of the paper and colored (stained) them
permanently. The gum arabic is only there to serve as a vehicle for
the pigment, and its presence in the painting is essentially
irrelevant; at any rate after diluting the paint from the tube with
water in the typical watercolor painting, there's very little gum
arabic in the painting. You could soak most traditional watercolor
paintings in water and dissolve the remaining gum arabic without
affecting the painting in any material way.

A gum printing, on the other hand, is not made of pigment permanently
coloring the paper fibers, but of hardened crosslinked gum arabic, in
which pigment is suspended like a beetle in amber. The hardened gum
is attached to paper fibers to hold it to the paper, but the pigment
is suspended within the hardened gum rather than permanently staining
the paper fibers as in watercolor paintings, so the image is made of
a different entity in each case. I have no information to bring to
bear on the question of relative permanence of the two things, and if
anyone else does, I'd be interested to hear it, but I'm not
comfortable saying that the permanence of one should be considered as
a predictor of the permanence of the other, since they differ in such
important respects.
Katharine