U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Taming Fabriano Artistico (Trad. White) for Cyanotype

Re: Taming Fabriano Artistico (Trad. White) for Cyanotype

Hi Keith,

3 Aralık 2008, Çarşamba, 5:09 pm tarihinde, Keith Gerling yazmış:
> Loris,
>
> Since you are diluting the acid anyway, is there any compelling reason
> you are using HCl and not some other more benign acid?

Because that's what I have on hands. I absolutely refrain from using
oxalic acid (because it will cause a gritty surface and won't help in
printing New Cyanotype - tried that before), and I don't have acetic acid
(won't use any kind of vinegar too -> because it may contain other ailen
compounds). Besides, HCl is the simplest / cheapest strong mineral acid
which can be brought pure and diluted (for several household
applications). Will buy the relatively weak and easy handling around 10% -
15% diluted solution after finishing this concentrated stock I have on
hands...

> I really like the results I'm getting putting gum on plywood and
> aluminum but I could use some more dmax.  Cyanotype doesn't work.  Am
> I to assume that the alkaline nature of the the gesso is incompatible
> with the cyanotype?  Would there be any point in trying to acidify the
> surface?

I can't think a way to acidify your surface since it's composed of calcium
carbonate and/or calcium sulfate and both will dissolve in acids... Maybe
you can use rabbit skin glue (or gelatin) and titanium dioxide mixture
(not calcium carbonate!)...?