U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Taming Fabriano Artistico (Trad. White) for Cyanotype

Re: Taming Fabriano Artistico (Trad. White) for Cyanotype

3 Aralık 2008, Çarşamba, 5:55 pm tarihinde, Paul Viapiano yazmış:
> The reason I use oxalic acid and not HCl is because of its relatively
> benign
> handling characteristics. By comparison, HCl is just too dangerous a
> chemical to have in a darkroom located in your everyday household.

I already explained why I don't prefer oxalic acid. And diluted HCl is a
common household item here in Turkey, in form of toilet / tile cleaner...

> The whole idea of paper acidification is to lower the pH of the paper
> and/or
> remove the excessive amounts of carbonate coating manufacturers use in
> order
> to achieve the almighty 'acid-free' status, in order to be amenable to the
> acidic solutions we use. So, I don't think there is an advantage to using
> much stronger acid. After all, acidic soaking aolutions of only 1-8% are
> used by printers worldwide with wonderful results. Not only oxalic acid
> can
> be used, but citric works very well, and I even used a very dilute
> solution
> of Kodak Indicator Stop Bath once. It worked wonderfully...and I would
> expect plain distilled white vinegar to work as well.

I'm not advocating usage of strong concentrations of HCl, that can be
obtainable in non-fuming form (ca. 10 - 15%). I happen to have
concentrated on hands, that's why I'm using it. And I dilute it pretty
much (0.35M, ~ 1.2%, if I'm not mistaking... I use 50ml of 35% solution in
a total volume of 1000ml -> you can do the math yourself if you like...)

Citric acid works fine indeed but it has its own problems such as: making
clearing harder, lowering contrast and prone to stain and/or bleed,
depending on the amnt. one uses and the specific paper.

You're right about acetic acid being a better / safer alternative (it was
brought into consideration a month or couple ago) but I don't agree on
vinegar. (As long as it isn't a pure solution of acetic acid; to my
knowing vinegar is not pure acetic acid and contains other compounds...
I'd rather use something pure w/o any alien compounds, especially in the
context of Pt/Pd printing.)

> Try amending your coating with a drop per ml of Tween or Photoflo at 10%
> help prevent runoff in the first wash...works wonders for me.

Thanks, I know that trick and used it extensively (in form of Ilfotol)...
I don't have bleeding problem and or blue wash water with HCl treated
Fabriano Artistio TW -> I noted this because I was surprised that I
haven't had it.