U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | a few questions - Fabriano EW and palladium

a few questions - Fabriano EW and palladium

Hi all...

I have a few questions re using Fabriano EW with palladium. My previous experience with using this paper for argyrotypes was generally very good.

I acidify with a 2-3% oxalic acid bath for at least 5 minutes, until no more bubbles can be seen.

I coat with FO #1 and palladium, using no contrast agent. The digital negatives I use have sufficient density for achieving a good print. Printing on Platine in this manner has been successful, yielding a long-range print tonality with good detail and color. I use an ammoniumm citrate developer, rinse and then clear with a citric acid first bath, and successive HCA baths followed by a water wash.

I just started working with Fabriano EW for palladium work, and the tonal results so far are decent, however there is some yellow-gold speckling in several .dark areas of the print. At first I thought it was a coating problem due to sizing, and added a touch of Tween 20 to the solution, but the yellow speckles still showed up.

Here's a scan of the problem:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/viapiano/3180317281/in/photostream/

Has anyone seen this before? I'd love some feedback on this...

Thanks!

Paul