U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: GIMP vs. CS4

RE: GIMP vs. CS4

Phritz,

Lightroom's primary function is to serve as a digital asset management tool
- an electronic lightbox if you will or a visual data base system. It does
have some nice photo editing capabilities but not to the extent that
Photoshop provides, some of which are unique to Lightroom.

Many photographers can live with it's limitations (compared to PS) and it's
intent is to provide a faster workflow for professional photographers that
produce large volumes of images such as wedding or event photography. A
Lightroom-Photoshop combination is also being promoted by some Adobe
evangelists such as Jeff Shewe (pronounced shu-wee) as the optimum way to
edit and print images because of the superior sharpening tools and
algorithms that Adobe has introduced in Lightroom.

Fine Art photographers that have a large repository of digital or digitized
images may also find it useful.

The best advice is to spend some time reading reviews and feature sheets of
the two products to see if the combination makes sense for you. It certainly
adds expense to your photo editing software inventory, now and in
perpetuity. That expense being money and hard disk drive real estate.

Don Bryant