U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Preparing Al sheets; other factors

Re: Preparing Al sheets; other factors

On 25 mrt 2009, at 13:40, Loris Medici wrote:

I asked to my chemicals supplier about waterglass; they have liquid
form
(something around 20-30%)... Is the addition of NaOH strictly
necessary?
Loris, i have no idea, i am just a simple gum printer; the recipe
comes via a former list member (Klaus Pollmeier) from an old german
book.
I just used it as written; the beer was pilsener , a 6 percent german
beer.

Just another thing: the reason i tried aluminum was the 'silvery
shining', so in order to avoid the sanding -lost of shining- i used
the toothpaste, in a way a 'pumice' or?
The other thing is that for me the real 'silver shine' was obtained
with 'kitchen aluminum' (i mean the stuff used in the kitchen to wrap
things :-).
succes,
Henk

Waterglass is already alkaline in solution. What's the purpose of
adding
NaOH? Another question is about beer; with "weak beer", do you mean
"low
alcohol content" or "clear/pale" (or both)?

Thanks again,
Loris.

25 Mart 2009, Çarşamba, 12:45 pm tarihinde, Loris Medici yazmış:
Interesting... What is the color of the coating (first formula)?

If it's white then I can just use this with a sizing layer on top, to
print gum on aluminum sheets or sealed wood panels. Thanks much!

What was the liquid strength of Sodium Silicate you were using
back then?
(Asking because probably I won't find this in liquid form, only
powder or
crystals...)

25 Mart 2009, Çarşamba, 12:03 pm tarihinde, henk thijs yazmış:
Loris,

Forgot to mention that the article can also be found on:

http://www.alternativephotography.com/articles/art053.html

succes,
Henk