U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: green-yellow

Re: green-yellow

Hi all,
I've been pondering over this thread for days.

When I asked a question on another forum about this a couple of years
ago, I was told that the farther the color is from violet on the
spectrum, the better it will block UV. By this logic, the UV-
blocking capability of colors should be in descending order: red,
yellow, green, cyan, blue, magenta. This makes sense theoretically,
but in practice it doesn't always seem to come out that way, in fact
the ranking of colors by blocking ability seems variable depending
more on the printer, the inkset and the light source than on the
process.

One value and saturation for each of the primary hues doesn't tell us
much; I find Michael's HSL array much more useful in judging the
blocking characteristics of the colors at a wide range of intensities
and values. And of course Clay's approach takes even more of the
guesswork out, he's looking at actual amounts of actual inks, and
graphing their actual UV-blocking capabilities. But I don't have the
patience for that kind of detail, so I'll stick with the HSL array.
Using that array printed in the dye-based inks in my Epson 1280, I
get the following order of blocking: red, green, yellow, blue,
magenta, cyan. With my printer, cyan is the least blocking color by
far, and red the most.

It seems to me that if different printers/inksets produce different
rankings of colors by ability to block UV, then the UV-blocking
properties of a particular ink cannot be assumed to be a function of
the color of the ink.

I only do the one process, so can't compare profiles across
processes, but I've seen several examples where people have used the
HSL array for different processes, using the same light source, and
got exactly the same HSL profile for the different processes, which
suggests to me that it's the printer inks and the light source that
determine the color blocking profile, not the process.

FWIW,
Katharine