U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Hand collotype in process

Re: Hand collotype in process

Loris,

Collotype definitely can be done in-house, since I did it :-) Naturally, I'm not interested in commercial printing, for that you need serious equipment and a collotype press... and a lot of training. However for experimental work where a blemish or two (or many more in my case) on the plate are tolerated, the technique is fairly approachable.

From what I have read, you can use an etching press, which you will need anyway, if you are interested in photogravure. The pressure needed is far less that what you need for woodburytype, so people also use relief presses as those used for linoleum or wood.

I don't think that collotype presses are made anymore, since it is a process that has fallen abruptly to disuse since offset came along. They were beautiful beasts, you can see one here: http://www.lichtdruck.de
But they were dismantled and destroyed since, so it is very difficult to find one. Also, you need a large space to house them.

On the other hand, these guys in France: http://perso.numericable.fr/bquantin/web_phototypie/phototypie.htm
use a small letterprint press.

If you read French, visit the site of Michel Momal, he is a French expert in collotype and has loads of info about the process: http://www.phototypie.net . (Click on "Visite Guidče" on the left and then n.9 on the bottom "Les presses phototypiques". You will see several images of collotype presses. Momal also has a pretty large one)

cheers
Tom Sobota
Madrid, Spain