U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: slightly off-topic...or not (re cameras)

Re: slightly off-topic...or not (re cameras)

Judy Seigel wrote:

(My jpegs are 1-1/2 mgs... which in my innocence I've found enough. I mean if it looks scant, photoshop can always dial in some more, can't it?
When you upsample, photoshop guesses at what color the added pixels should be by using information from surrounding pixels, but the result will never be as sharp as your original. Better to shoot using the larger size. That said, I think today's mega-megapixel cameras are overkill unless you're printing a billboard. My camera has 8 mp and that's fine for me. My last camera had 3, and even that has worked fine for my gum prints. But I find 1-2 mp a bit small for editing.

Laura