U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Paper - baby oil Digi Negs

Re: Paper - baby oil Digi Negs

I'm a little late to this discussion, but for ten years or more all my negatives (including color separations for tricolor gum) were paper negatives oiled with mineral oil (baby oil is just thinned mineral oil with that "baby" fragrance added). I've detailed my oiling technique on the list more than once, so won't repeat it here, but will just repeat that a properly oiled paper negative (the oil well rubbed into the paper with heat) will be as dry as a sheet of waxed paper when finished and will not lose a whit of its transparency or tonality over months or even years.

However, if you just oiled on the back, it sounds like you didn't oil the negative sufficiently; the oil should penetrate the paper completely and be rubbed and heated until dry. No harm done, just oil again.

Other thoughts from my experience: (1) don't use paraffin; it marks and scratches too easily. (2) don't use the blocks of yellow beeswax; it will discolor your negatives and change the contrast; instead use the beads of white microcrystalline beeswax that you can buy at an art supply store. But after trying all these things, I still find oiling to be the easiest and most reliable and fuss-free way of making paper negatives transparent, and there's a bonus: your hands will be nice and soft when you're done. FWIW,
Katharine