To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:11 PM
Subject: Re: theoretical gum question

Good question.

I've done it both ways, and remain convinced that the best way to print gum, especially if you're interested in a longer print tonal scale than gum can print in one coat, is to stick with the old tried and true method of using a negative with a longer dynamic range and printing two or three times for the different parts of the range. As phritz says, as long as you have to print more than once to get deep open shadows, well-separated midtones, and nicely gradated highlights, why not?

I'll answer the part about tricolor later, because that will take longer, but on that too, I think you're on the right track, at least I made beautiful tricolors for years without matching the negative to the range of the gum, and I'm not convinced that the tricolors I've been making lately, matched to the emulsion and using ChartThrob- generated curves, make better prints than my old standard method, in fact the prints don't have such a clean and crisp look; they're not so tonally satisfying to me in general as the old ones.

As in everything about gum, each to his own.
Katharine