U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: New home for list needed.

RE: New home for list needed.

Dear Judy,

That's manageable in two ways:

1. You make up a group policy that forbids attachments (images, documents,
vCards and whatnot) to the messages. If someone wants to share files, they
can upload it to their server or the Google/Yahoo group's file/photos
section (as a new feature for those who don't have a hosting account - an
advantage) and provide a link. Besides, both Google/Yahoo will check files
(both attached - if allowed - and uploaded) for malicious content (viruses,
trojan horses, keyloggers and other adware/malware), so you have the
advantage of being better protected.

Additionally,

2. Services like Google and Yahoo offer to block attachments to messages.
(All the Yahoo groups I own - several - are set that way...) So you have a
way to provide it other than a policy, it's enforceable... (We don't have
that right now, remember people sending attachments to the list?
Yahoo/Google has advantages / are better in that aspect.)