U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | tricolor gum question - yellow

tricolor gum question - yellow

Hi all...

After making several tricolor gums, I am feeling that my yellow layer is a bit on the heavy side. Where I am expecting muted yellow-browns in my final print, I am seeing a brighter shade slightly on the garish side. I see this with oranges as well. Where I expect a more terracotta color I am seeing a brighter orange.

How can I correct for this? Should I mute the yellow by doubling the gum arabic in the pigment mixture? Or expose that layer less?

I can also change colors...at the moment I use Cad Yellow Pale, along with Quin Red and Phthalo Blue RS, all Daniel Smith pigments. Maybe toning the Cad Yellow down with something like Raw Sienna will mute the vibrancy...

Thanks!

Paul