Re: dry pigment for carbon tissue

Albert Strauss (a.strauss@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 21:24:29 +0000

At 05:30 AM 10/18/96 +0000, Judy wrote:

>One more question (right now): Some sources say to harden the tissue in
>alum, but not which alum... Guess I could look it up, maybe I will, as
>soon as I wake up. But I wonder if anyone has tried glyoxal for the
>tissue???? I'm assuming it works as well as formaldehyde, but just
>checking...

I have read suggestions that the gelatin on the *final* transfer sheet, after
development and cold wash, could be hardened in alum (standard silver/gelatin
hardener) for greater protection, or if another layer was to be transfered, say
for tricolor printing. On the tissue it would immediately kill it.

> That's very good news, Al -- the Daniel Smith price for large tube (15
>ml) is $6, as I recall, a significant difference when you use so much of
>it, especially for impecunious student. Sumi apparently within reach
>too....

I checked tube $2.89 is for 38 ml size of gouche. I have some bottles
of *concentrated* water color meant for airbrushes. Very inexpensive.
Can't use for gum, stains too much but may work with gel. also $2.89

Cheers again,

Al