doorskin etc.

Judy Seigel ( jseigel@panix.com)
Mon, 06 January 1997 5:17 PM

On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Patrick & Lynn Hilferty wrote:
> I've been making 36"x40'+ cyanotypes on 1/8" doorskin plywood surfaced with
> either Goldens Absorbant Ground or a concoction of gloss medium and

Please, what is "doorskin"?

Also, why do you use gloss medium and ash rather than matt medium and ash,
or doesn't it really matter?

Also, what do you use for 36" by 40" (or is that really 40 feet?)
negatives?

What are exposure times like?

> volcanic ash (pumice powder). The emulsion is applied with a paint pad and
> immediately dried with a broken space heater that is suspended about 2 feet
> above its surface. The space heater idea (among others) was borrowed from a

Does the space heater have to be broken? Why do you heat dry it rather
than letting it air dry?

> woman who produces blueprint-on-fabric kits for craft fairs here in
> Belmont. She screens the emulsion mixed with alginate onto T-shirts and
> pops the result under space heaters. I'll ask and see if she has had any
> problems with dying them.

What's alginate? Does she dry by heat so the product can be stacked? Do
you know of any other reason?

I apologize for so many questions, but couldn't help myself. TIA.

Judy