Re: What UV lamp available around France

Judy Seigel ( jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 10 January 1997 1:02 AM

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997 SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:

> Judy,
> I assume when you say a regular FL bulb doesn't print cyanotype, you
> mean its doesn't print very fast. i.e. very very slow compared to
> a bulb designed to produce a lot more UV. ALL FL bulbs produce UV.
> It does work. I have tried it, but the exposures are VERY long. Of course,
> it helps to get the print frame very close to the bulbs AND if you can
> find what we call an aquarium bulb or "Grow" light bulb, so much the better.
> I might mention that a mercury vapor "yard" light also works pretty well.

Bob, are you speaking of grow light from practice or theory? Have you
*printed* with it? In 2 hours at 1 1/2 inches it made a verrrrry pale
imitation of a cyanotype. And are you claiming to have made a cyanotype
with *cool white* fluorescent? I gave up after an hour with virtually no
image. You'd do better exposing by the glow-in-the-dark tab on your key
chain. Or just taking the print outdoors, even in winter.

Cheers,

Judy