Re: What UV lamp available around France

Judy Seigel ( jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 11 January 1997 1:46 PM

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997 SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:
> I still
> think FL bulbs are the least expensive way to go.
> Did we not have a long discussion about light sources some time back
> on this list?

I agree with you about the fluorescent bulbs being the way -- or certainly
a good way -- to go, but not just any fluorescent.Our tests last year
showed that *cool white* fluorescent bulbs didn't print cyanotype at all,
may have printed pl/carbon, but as I recall not well (I only tested them
with cyanotype).

A bulb, which as far as I know is still a primary consumer fluorescent, is
called "Daylight" fluorescent -- and says so right on the bulb. This gave
a very weak cyanotype after an hour or so, but who needs it? It
apparently printed carbon and pl/pd as tested by Sandy King (I believe it
was) but was slower and too contrasty in gum. The best all-purpose
emulsion bulb would therefore seem to be either the AQA or the BL bulb.
They're more expensive, but not exhorbitant, and after all they last for
9000 hours.

Judy