Re: We are not the alternative

Ron Silvers ()
Tue, 14 January 1997 12:17 PM

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Terry King wrote:

> We are so answerable. Nearly all our efforts ride upon the coat tails of
> others. We are struggling to find films for our contact negatives because
> large format film is obsolete in another industry. Our Bromoils are made
> on paper designed for painters and designers. Our brushes are made for
> water-colorists. Our blotting paper is made for printers. Even eighty years
> ago Frederick Evans gave up photography because platinum was needed for the
> manufacture of high explosives. We are constantly at the margin and we
> have to compromise.

Terry, I was quite surprised to read the last line of your response. It
doesn't at all sound like you.

Your descriptions point to being resourceful rather than to compromise.
If we think about it, it is when photographers accede to the limitations
of commercial packaging (just what is offered by the big companies) that
compromising takes place. To search around, use material made for other
mediums, to appeal to large chemical companies (as many of us have done),
to find alternative chemicals wmlaven@well.com (note Mike Ware), all of these are marks of
resourcefulness.

Let's get away from stick-in-the-mud names. Judy is right, GO FOR IT!

Let's try X-Photography.

Names are what people organize around. So why not one that tickles the
imagination and encourages curiosity.

Ron