Re: Charles E. Fairman

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 19:55:43 -0500 (EST)

Hello world, why does Terry's message come in with address "unknown"?

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Terry King wrote:

> Message text written by Judy Seigel
> > but I know the "good" hake brush costs
> $70 (yes seventy dollars)<
>
> That is why it is a good idea to go to a Chinese Cultural Store selling
> books and paintings and so on. The Guang Hua trading company in Newport
> Place sells hake brushes for three pounds for a two inch brush. Once you
> have washed the moth balls out of them they work fine and they are so cheap
> that they can be replaced without thought.

Terry, art supply stores are so advanced in New York City (like everything
else) that they supply hake brushes at maybe 2 pounds ($2.50) for a 2
incher, nearly as cheap as chinatown. The problem is that the hairs in
these brushes tend to shred, wile pieces break or flake off. The
replacement isn't a problem (in fact I have never yet had to replace one),
it's the continuing wisps of hair in the emulsion that are the devil to
pick out.

We ran a thread on this last year, perhaps before your time.

A better quality hair would presumably shed or break less or not at all,
like the brush Fairman described. Today, however, cost seems to be in the
range indicated -- from whomever.

Judy