Re: An alt-Photo organization?

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Thu, 22 May 1997 17:58:57 -0400 (EDT)

Dick, for all that you are a stalwart of alt-photo and true-blue prince
among men, not to mention popular raconteur, tireless scientist and
daring innovator, I must throw my admiration to the winds to exclaim
*pfui* to your latest idea, at least as outlined.

Years ago art critic Harold Rosenberg said by the time there's a band
wagon it's too late to jump on it. The organization you propose might not
a bandwagon, but could in fact be deadlier. A bandwagon at least isn't a
bureacracy and/or conglomerate. (Next stop Disney and Turner?)

The question at this point might be what size is the "right" size. Is it
possible we're close to it now? We have excellent sources of materials,
Bostick and Sullivan & Artcraft among them, and excellent sources of
information, "the list," the Web, and Luis's publications among them. As
for exhibition, I submit that when the work is strong it gets shown one
way or another. Most organizational salons are deadly, and organizational
*juried* shows even worse -- liable to destroy not only friendships, but
the organization itself. (I say this advisedly, having spent many years'
servitude in artists' organizations.)

As for a publication, I think I've mentioned I'm *trying* to start one,
although still stuck in the back row of computer hell, feeling like the
slow learner dropped by administrative error into the fast class. Assuming
I navigate these hurdles, I daresay it won't be much like what you have in
mind.. . BUT I'm delighted to find such a computer-adept as yourself
acknowledging the function of print media! ;- )

For another good deed in a naughty world, you have said something
provocative (as you point out) to rouse the list from sleep, and no
doubt merit forgiveness on that account... But puleese!

Divisions? Definitions? Rules? Board of Trustees? Officers? Activities
"sanctioned" by the group? Oh, oh, oh! Isn't that what we came into
alt-photo to get away from?

Judy