Re: Evans and paper, etc.

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Mon, 21 Jul 97 18:06 BST-1

> Message text written by Peter Marshall
> >
> I am not surprised having seen the quality of Paul's prints; (indeed here
> sy
>
> though it may be I suspect he might even make a better print from that
>
> particular negative if he tried to do this rather than match the original
> .)
>

> Some years ago, together with Terry we had a good look at the Evan's
> negatives
>
> and prints at the Royal -<
>
> It might be worth noting that the Royal's copy of Evans's 'The Sea of
> Steps ' is not the best I have seen. There is one in Catford where the
> subtlety sings.
>
> Terry

And I think the same gentleman in Catford has a modern silver gelatin print of
that same scene by another photographer which he finds rather an improvement on
the Evans, although I was slightly less convinced.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://faraday.clas.virginia.edu/~ds8s/
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/