Re: Strange Thing with Step Wedge

Gregory Walker (gwalker@netcom.com)
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:27:05 -0500

At 10:38 AM 7/24/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I tried to make an enlarged step wedge from my Stouffer step wedge so that I
>can measure the density in the final print because the original is very
>small. It was a 35mm steps, and I enlarged it to 4x5. I found that the steps
>go darker and darker (as expected) and then start to turn lighter from step 6
>to step 2. Then step 1 gets darkest (as expected).

This sounds like solarization as I have seen it work: the intermediate
"dark" tones get lighter, but not the darkest blacks. Diluted Dektol
was often used for solarization. As it gets exhausted, it approaches a
metol-only developer, which is the basis for published "solarol-like"
formulas used in print solarization.

Gregory Walker gwalker@netcom.com