Re: Enlarged duplicate negative

Eric J. Neilsen (ejnasn@laplaza.org)
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 09:14:48 -0700 (MST)

Davids, I would agree with D Kennedys suggestions with these added
comments. (SEE BELOW)

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997 DKenn473@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-10-27 07:23:21 EST, daguilar@bhnet.com.br writes:
>

> > What's the best way to make an enlarged negative? Internegative or direct
> > duplicating film?
> > I know there are some SO "special order" films, but I really don't know
> the
> > one that will best suite my needs.
> > I usually make 8 X 10 negatives from 35mm or 120 negatives, and I always
> do
> > that with Kodalith film.
> > Any suggestions welcome.
> >
> > David Aguilar
> > daguilar@bhnet.com.br
> >
> David-
> Kodak use to make so339, which I thought was a great film, now it's gone the
> way of Pan -x and the replacement is so 139 much slower and less contrast
> than the old stuff. I really can't recommend it. I'd try the following, I
> think it's much better than the agfa np31 film.
> POSITIVE: 4x5 or 8x10 on Ilford Commercial Ortho film
> 1-2 foot candles on easel exposure 1-3 seconds more exposure will
> give you more contrast
> develop in Ilford iflfotech 1-32 (dil. B) 6-8 mins
> also uses HC 110 dil. B

I use Ilfotec at 1:31 and ortho film for normal and contrasty originals
and Tech pan with HC110 1:15 for flatter originals.

> NEGATIVE: final size on Kodak Pro. Copy Film 4125
> 1-2 foot candles on easel exposure 1-3 seconds
> develop HC 110 Dil B 6-8 mins. Kodak D-11 or D-8 for much more contrast.

I use HC110 at 1:11 for 4 to 10 mins with a 1/4 foot candle for longer
exposure times to aid in dogde/burning needs. I find that short exposures
times make for additional time under the UV lights to make those same
corrections.

I also use Ilfords Delta 100 for 8x10 enlargements, again with Ilfotec
@1:31 for 6to12 mins.

> WORK WITH ALL FILM UNDER LOW RED SAFELIGHT
> order from: UNIQUE PHOTO 1-800-631-0300 ASK FOR RICH KELLY EXT. 253

Good source for product, one which I use often.

> ALWAYS BEST TO BUILD YOUR FINAL NEGATIVE TO GO ON A NO "B" PAPER!!

EJ Neilsen
ejnasn@laplaza.org
http://www.busdir.com/ericneilsen/index.html