Re: Experience in FX-1 Developer?

Sandor Mathe (sandor.mathe@prior.ca)
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:08:50 -0500

FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> I find from Anchell's "Darkroom Cookbook" a formula called "Crawley's FX-1."
> It is listed under high-definition film developer. Has anyone had experience
> using this developer? It says that this developer results in a "soot and
> chalk" tonal scale. Could someone explain what that means?

"soot and chalk" is an A. Adamsism (maybe others as well), used to mean
high contrast, lacking in good middle tone separation, most often from
overdevelopment. It seems quite descriptive to me.

Sorry I've not used the developers that you're asking about.
Sandor Mathe -- sandor.mathe@prior.ca
(905) 670-1225 x333
FAX (905) 670-1344